Days after their unprecedented squabble in the Oval Office, US President Donald Trump and his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelenskyy seemed to have patched up. On Tuesday, Trump, who addressed the US Congress, said he received an important letter from Zelenskyy, expressing regret over the White House clash and his intention to pursue peace for his country.
"I received an important letter from President Zelenskyy of Ukraine. The letter reads, 'Ukraine is ready to come to the negotiating table as soon as possible to bring lasting peace closer. Nobody wants peace more than the Ukrainians,'" Trump said.
Trump also said that Zelenskyy had agreed to the US minerals deal, which he had previously refused to sign, one of the triggers that led to the White House showdown.
The US is seeking a $500 billion mineral deal with Ukraine in exchange for the military aid Washington has given to Kyiv during the ongoing war with Russia.
Trump further said that Zelenskyy told him Kyiv was ready for talks with Russia.
"He said, 'My team and I stand ready to work under President Trump's strong leadership to get a peace that lasts. We do really value how much America has done to help Ukraine maintain its sovereignty and independence,'" Trump added.
The US President said he was "working tirelessly to end the savage conflict in Ukraine."
"Millions of Ukrainians and Russians have been needlessly killed or wounded in this horrific and brutal conflict, with no end in sight," Trump said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Zelenskyy said he wanted to "make things right" with Trump after their clash on Friday.
On Tuesday, the US had also paused military aid to Ukraine, a move which many saw as aimed at pressuring the country to accept the unfavourable peace deal with Russia.
For more news and current affairs?from around the world, please visit Indiatimes News.